Thursday, February 25, 2016

The First Fruits

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A patch, of berries quite concealed;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Shifting and dancing in the breeze.

Their luminous skins of silk did shine
And from their petals stretched away,
They spanned in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
A hundred thousand jewels I saw,
Enough to fill this man with awe.

I looked again and eyed some more
Delicious-looking orbs of fruit
Forty thousand, another four
That took their goodness from the root.
I gazed and gazed and then I thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

'Cause oft, when resting for a while
This question to myself I'd ask,
Where are ones who don't speak guile
And do they recognize their task?
And then my heart pervades complete,
As I recall the berries sweet.

And now the power in their hands
Resides with faith and mercy shown
To bless and help their fellow man
With love to bring them to His throne.
His light will shine profound and swift
If they will wield their curious gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment